Is your e-commerce site not performing as well as it used to? Maybe you have started to notice little things going wrong, or you are not able to add new features.
Although your current e-commerce platform may have met your needs as an online retailer once, this may no longer be the case, and this means only one thing. It’s time to migrate!
Still not sure that you need to switch to a new e-commerce platform? Read on to discover five surefire signs that you have outgrown your current platform, and it’s time for an e-commerce migration. Plus, find out how to migrate with minimal stress and maximum efficiency.
- You are experiencing a performance lag
How long does it take your site to load? If it takes more than 2 seconds for a web page to appear, you will likely lose customers to your competitors.
You can manually check your page loading speed or use an online page speed checker tool. It can also be helpful to look at your bounce rate, which may be high if your page loading speeds are slow.
- Your current platform is inflexible
Would you say your current e-commerce platform is flexible? Does it allow you to do what you want to do?
A good platform should help, not hinder, your business strategies and you should be able to easily integrate new features and perform updates. If you can’t, it may be time for a migration – something that website development agency Magecloud can help you with.
- You are not able to scale your site
When you first launched your e-commerce site, you probably had a projected number of sales for the first six months of trading. However, fast forward a year or more, and you may be experiencing a much higher volume of customers.
If this is the case for your business, you need to be able to easily scale your site to process larger orders efficiently and without delays. If your current platform does not enable you to do this, then it’s time to move onwards and upwards.
- Your team is not able to work efficiently.
Your business is only as good as the people who work for it, so you need to ensure they are given the best tools for the job. When it comes to e-commerce platforms, you need one that will facilitate daily tasks rather than hinder them.
Ideally, you want to choose a platform that has a no-code interface as these are easy to use and do not require any technical expertise. They are also designed for maximum output and productivity, so a win-win for your business.
- You are spending too much money
Ultimately, you don’t want to be blowing your budget on your e-commerce platform of choice, so you must compare prices from different sources. Make sure that you consider not only the licensing fee and the cost of integration but also any ongoing maintenance costs and the price of technical debt.
If the current cost of running your site is more than you would like, don’t be afraid to look at different platforms and subscription packages.
How to migrate to a new e-commerce platform
If you think that you are more than ready for a new platform, then the below migration tips are just what you need:
- Collate a team of experts including IT experts, content marketers, and any business partners and investors who should know about your migration plans.
- Make a list of any limitations that your current platform has so that you can create new business goals to apply to your new platform.
- Draft a request for a proposal to send out to prospective vendors offering e-commerce solutions.
- Work out how much re-platforming will cost you, including software upgrades, performance testing, and hosting fees.
- Plan the migration process with an established time frame and budget.
- Audit your website for SEO (search engine optimization), as migration can sometimes come with SEO risks and benefits.